Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Age of Innocence

"The Age of Innocence" may provoke a remembrance of a book or movie, but for me it's much more. I had a simple reminder of the innocence of a child and how we are to live as believers in Christ.

1AT THAT time the disciples came up and asked Jesus, Who then is [really] the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? 2And He called a little child to Himself and put him in the midst of them, 3And said, Truly I say to you, unless you repent (change, turn about) and become like little children [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving], you can never enter the kingdom of heaven [at all]. 4Whoever will humble himself therefore and become like this little child [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving] is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5And whoever receives and accepts and welcomes one little child like this for My sake and in My name receives and accepts and welcomes Me. (Mathew 18:1-5)

As Christians, we too often forget the simplicity that God has called us to. We try to make things so difficult, we forget the very foundation of His love and how that projects us into His purposes.

Yesterday evening, Donna and I went out to eat. My oldest daughter, Jordan, stayed home and watched the younger children. Every night, either Donna or myself will take our 2 year old, Sage, to our bed and spend about a half hour with her. We begin by reading several books, sing several songs, pray and then put her in bed. This has been the routine for several months now and it's amazing how well she goes to bed when we spend a little time with her before she lays down.

Jordan took Sage into our room and went through the routine. We always pray for God to speak to us throughout the night through dreams but also ministering angels to protect and watch over us. Near the end of Jordan's prayer, Sage was looking up at the ceiling. She said, "look Sissy!" Jordan looked and didn't see anything and said what, I don't see anything.

Sage said, "It's a person!" At this point, Jordan was confused and excited all in one breath. Jordan then asked what color the person was and Sage said, "White, with yellow hair!" Again, Jordan was shocked, but very excited at this point. Then sage said, "And he has a band". Jordan asked "band?", "Yes, a stripe!"

"What color is it?", "Purple!"

So at this point, it was over, but it's pretty clear, Sage was describing an angel!

The next morning, I probed a little further. I have ALWAYS been very careful never to lead my children with my words, but have always phrased questions in a way that would allow them to answer without my influence.

"Sage, Jordan told me you saw a person last night"

"Yes, in the sky"

"What was he doing?"

"Just watching"

"Did he say anything to you"

"Yes"

"What did he say?"

At this point, she just smiled really big, giggled and didn't answer me. I asked again with the same response.

"Did he tell you his name?"

"Yes"

"Do you remember what it was?"

Again, a big smile and giggle and no answer!

I figured that was enough and stopped probing. She wasn't going to say anymore and I didn't know how to continue without putting words in her mouth.

That night, I began to dwell on what happened. The thought of innocence really sunk in and how important it is to walk with such a purity. As a Christian, I want to do what I can for God, but I tend to forget, all He wants from me is a loving relationship. Through that relationship, I will naturally please Him and it will cause me to do the things He desires.

You're blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world. (Matthew 5:8, The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment